Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Scott Gordon's our man...

After much debate and a lengthy interview process the Islanders have named Scott Gordon as their new head coach. While I still think Paul Maurice would have been an excellent choice I really like this move.

In Gordon the Islanders get a young, up and coming coach who has had great success coaching young players at the AHL level. Undoubtedly he’s learned how to motivate, teach, encourage, cajole, discipline, and even kick-in-the-butt players who are trying to learn how to play the game at the professional level.

I have to say, I’m excited.

I like this move, Garth, because it took some balls. I’m sure there was pressure to get someone established and, given your past relationship with Bob Hartley, there was probably a strong inclination to go with what you know. I really feel he would have been the wrong choice for this young team and I applaud your courage in hiring Scott Gordon.

I’m just glad the mariner logo is gone because I can see the headlines for ‘trusting Gordon’s fishermen’ now. Thank god for small miracles.

Anyway, let’s bring on the camp. I can’t wait.

NFI

No comments: