Monday, October 27, 2008

When the Weight comes down...

Didn't get to see the game against Carolina but by all accounts it was highly entertaining. It's not very often a team generates 60 shots and still loses but that what the Isles did Saturday. Add in the last second penalty shot for Doug Weight that would have sent it to overtime and the huge hit he put on Brandon Sutter (Brent's son) and I'm sorry I missed it.

I'm a little troubled by the hit on Sutter though. By all accounts it was a 'clean' hit in that it wasn't against the rules but a shoulder to the head is something that deserves a penalty. The NHL doesn't see it that way of course but sooner or later they will. It's just a matter how many careers are ended prematurely before that happens. The league keeps talking about headshots but won't penalize a shoulder to the head for fear that will lead to less contact. I think that's a load of crap. It won't lead to less hitting but it will lead to less incidents where players, who have a victim lined up, take the easier way out and put their shoulder into someones head rather than the potentially jarring option of laying it into someone's chest. Weight, who is not known as a hitter, saw an opportunity but rather than stand the kid up with a shoulder to the solar plexis or a nice hip-check, took the easy way out and delivered the head shot.

I may sound like like I'm contradicting myself a little here when you look back at what I said made this an entertaining game but don't get me wrong, I love to watch big hits just as much as the next guy. What I prefer to see afterwards though, is the player able to get back up and continue playing - a little sore perhaps, but with his faculties intact. Sutter was knocked out cold and no doubt has a concussion. Does anyone remember Brent Lindros? It would be a shame if this was the beginning of the end for Brandon Sutter's career in the NHL.

NFI

No comments: